The Hermit’s Tale

The Hermit, Sage or Arcanum IX

Writings from The Hermit’s Tale

It was the First day of Autumn, with the warm rays of the Sun slanting through an open window. The hermit looks-up and sees an almost golden mist pouring through his gauze-like curtains. He looks around and thinks to himself, “Well, time to straighten things-up, and get some supper together before I go out for my walk this evening.”

So, he begins picking things-up, items that have drifted to different places within his cottage. There are some notes on a table that he made after last evenings sojourn, a book here and there. “Oh!” “And what’s this?” he exclaims, as he picks-up a book by one of his favourite authors. “Ah, I’ve been looking for you for a while my old friend Osho. ‘TAO: the Pathless Path,’ what a fine book,” and he then goes to place it in the old chest at the foot of his bed. Noticing a copy of Rabbi David A. Cooper’s, “God is a Verb.” on a shelf, he picks that up, and puts it away too; thinking to himself, “Wonderful book on the Kabbalah.”

As he opens the chest and starts placing the notes and the books inside, he sees a paper with writing on it. “Oh, and what’s this?” he thinks to himself, “My goodness, it’s ‘Hidden and Revealed!’ I wrote that so very long ago. Almost from another lifetime and world it seems!” He then proceeds to sit down on the foot of his bed, and begins to read what he wrote.

“Hidden and revealed are the secrets of life.
Each of us searching ourselves, and lives
for the answers, that lie
in wait behind the doors
of our mind and soul.

A flower of windmists, a foggy day,
an amber afternoon in October,
the smile of a friend;
all hold the keys to the answers
we are so desperately looking for in life.

Hidden and revealed are the secrets of life.
Each of us holding within
the essence and spark of the Divine;
if we but only look inside,
awaken, and realize.”

“Interesting,” the hermit says to himself. “I kind of liked this one, especially the part about the ‘amber afternoon in October.'” Ah, me, but that was long ago.” Oh, so many things in this old chest,” he thought to himself, “Here’s my Numerology material, my Karuna Ki manuals, and several of my favourite crystals.” He reflects on several of them and blurts out, “Oh, yes indeed, here is my wonderful black Tourmaline and Quartz Crystal combination. Back in my pocket you go! You repel and send negative energy back from whence it comes so well, I need to have you around.”

The hermit stops for a moment, looks sharply in the box and says, “Oh, my goodness! Here’s a picture of me with some friends in Japan.”

An Autumnal Day in Japan

Ah, Japan, what a mystical and spiritual land, he mused to himself,

“I have seen the sunrise from an old Japanese ryokan on Sagami Bay,
traveled to Ise Shima, home of the Sun Goddess Amaterasu, and walked in the
Deer Park of the Diabutsu at Nara. And Fuji-san, oh, Fuji-san,
of such magnificence and splendor, I can never, ever,  forget you.

The rays of the Autumnal Sun send a fleeting ray of fading light through the cottage window as the hermit leaves his reverie, and goes off to prepare an evening meal of wild rice,  fish, bread and cheese. Soon, soon it will be time to once again go out and follow the path that leads into the dusk of evening. “This has, indeed, been a remarkable life!” he thinks to himself. “Quite remarkable!”

Path through The Hermit’s Forest

| THE PATH OF THE HERMIT |

The Hermit, Arcanum IX, or the Sage, is the Ninth Card in the Tarot Deck, and is usually depicted as a robed man, or monk, who is walking along a path and carrying a lantern. The meaning of The Hermit goes something like this:

In divination, the Ninth Card, or Arcanum IX,
may briefly read as Wisdom or Prudence.

The Hermit is sometimes depicted as a wanderer leaning on a staff and carrying before him a lighted lamp which he half conceals with his mantle. He personifies experience gained in the journey of life. The lamp typifies discretion, and also expresses the truth that, if we are ever to know the real nature of anything, we must delve deep beneath the cloak of external appearances. [The Sacred Tarot: C. C. Zain]

Along the Autumnal Path

© 2012 Roger Allen Baut

Epilogue

“Remember, then, children of Earth, prudence is the armor of the wise. Circumspection enables one to avoid snares and abysses and to foresee treason. Take it for thy guide in all thy actions, even in the least. Nothing is indifferent here below. A pebble can overturn the chariot of the master of the world. Keep in mind that speech is silver and silence is gold.” C. C. Zain

Advertisements

About chasingtao1

☮ "If we are going to survive, and progress, as a species, it can only happen by all of us working together for the mutual benefit of all people, and the planet! ☮
This entry was posted in Metaphysics, Philosophy and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to The Hermit’s Tale

1. tashtoo says:

Roger! You took my breath away with this…always…ALWAYS, has the hermit appealed to me on so many levels. Perhaps there’s no wonder why I was drawn to your work. You are speaking to my soul, sharing your adventures, your library, your words…and of course, your talent. The soundtrack is mystical, magical, perfect, and would I not love to wander your path for even just a moment. I’m really starting to see some fantastic commonalities with us coordinators…dream team, brother! 🙂 This is awesome!

• chasingtao1 says:

Oh, I’m so pleased you resonate so well to my composition! YOU made my day Natasha! Yes, the hermit really appeals to me too. Nice to have the commonality, as well as others! What a wondrous figure the hermit is, and I love the symbolism in the card!

• You are speaking to my soul, sharing your adventures, your library, your words…and of course, your talent.

> Thanks again Natasha so pleased about that! I’m actually thinking about expanding “The Hermit’s Tale, with sort of ‘mini’ segments like this one, presenting some of the ‘arcane’ and ancient wisdom. If you think that’s a good idea?

• The soundtrack is mystical, magical, perfect, and would I not love to wander your path for even just a moment.

> Glad you liked this too! Isn’t Johnny Clyde a wonder! A special soul too! This is the second time I’ve featured his music on something I’ve created!

> You are on my path Natasha, and we are traveling together, as are our other friends. We have traveled this way before, and we shall travel it again, in the higher realms.

• I’m really starting to see some fantastic commonalities with us coordinators…dream team, brother! This is awesome!

> Yes, it is sweet sister! Who’d a thunk it a year ago? But, we were on the path, traveling here! It is awesome!

Thank you again, and take gentle care Natasha!

Roger ☺

2. Muselady11 says:

Nice one! Will pass on to my Tarot/oracle buddies. Excellent synopsis of the Hermit. I really like the “amber afternoon in October” line, also.

• chasingtao1 says:

Hi Joanne! What a pleasure to meet you along the pathless path! I’m so happy you enjoyed my composition! I have loved the Tarot for a very long time and really like going into the in-depth aspects of The Major Arcana. So very much wisdom is contained within them. I’m glad you liked the synopsis too! Ah, yes, “amber afternoon in October!” I’ve been fortunate to experience a few of those! Thanks again! I look forward to visiting with you again!

Roger 🙂

3. Beth Winter says:

Astounding, Roger. I don’t know what else to say except you turned the tables and blew my socks off. Incredible.

I may have to raid your library. 😉

• chasingtao1 says:

Hey yah Beth! I wondered where those socks came from that mysteriously appeared by the door! If you’ve got mine, we can do an exchange! 🙂
      So happy you found this ‘Astounding’ and ‘Incredible!’ Makes me happy!

You’re very welcome to the library Beth. It is small and concise, but has the most credible pieces of information I have found! The Sacred Tarot by C. C. Zain is a must because it is a multi level approach to the cards.

Thanks again, Beth, and I look forward to more collaborations!

Roger 🙂

4. moondustwriter says:

A beautiful combination of art Roger
    a magical and profound message

• chasingtao1 says:

Thank you so very much Leslie! I really appreciate you stopping by, and reading your comment! It means a lot! Looking forward to collaborating with you and traveling the pathless path, and I’m so glad you sensed the “…magical” in my composition! So, nice!

Roger ☺

5. marousia says:

Beautiful! The Hermit is one of my favourite cards – I love the way you used it here for contemplation to show the magic of the world we live in.

• chasingtao1 says:

Thank you so much for stopping by and reading my composition Marsha! So glad you found it beautiful, and that The Hermit is one of your favourite cards. How wonderful!

• I love the way you used it here for contemplation to show the magic of the world we live in.

> Thank you again, and yes, indeed, there is ‘magic.’ People do not see it as they once did! But, they shall ‘see’ once again!

Thanks again Marsha! So happy to sense your energy across the miles!

Roger

6. So nice to know more about you. I always get such a feeling of peace when I visit your blog. Your writing and music take me to a mystical place where imagination can flow with freedom.

• chasingtao1 says:

Hi Susie! Nice to have you stop by and share your thoughts with me! Yes, there was a bit of information about me in the composition. Glad you liked it! Nice to know you get a feeling of peace when you visit, too. Also, really happy, that, the “writing and music take me to a mystical place where imagination can flow with freedom.” That’s really a good thing! It’s all part of the package the universe sends me when I start composing. I am quite blessed! Thanks again, there will be more to follow!

Roger 🙂

7. An insightful distillation of isolation and wisdom. Enjoyed the read. Thanks for sharing Roger. Happy autumn, James.

• chasingtao1 says:

Thanks for stopping by James and sharing your thoughts! “An insightful distillation of isolation and wisdom.” That seems to fit The Hermit, Sage or Arcanum IX very well! Glad you enjoyed it James! A happy Autumn to you too! It’s my favourite season! Roger 🙂